Tuesday 22 July 2014

Vienna (Part 4)

Of course, like every European city we have been in, Vienna also has it’s monumental cathedral. In this case it is St. Stephen’s Church. It has a lovely multi-coloured roof and the composer, Vivaldi, was buried there in the 1700’s. We took a look briefly inside, but didn’t stay long.  I think along with castles, we were now “churched-out”.

Tucked away between a high-end clothing store and an even higher-end crystal shop was the Spanish Winter Riding School. Here is where the famous Lippizaner stallions train. Where we were just off the Graben Strasse was the rear part of the School with an open paddock. They had finished training for the morning but I was able to get a picture of the paddock and in the near distance a couple of white stallions in their stalls.

All in all, Vienna was actually the least favourite of the cities we had visited so far, a disappointment. My impression and how I describe it is “too Disneyland”. I would be hard put to explain exactly what I mean by that – just an impression. Being plonked down in the part of Vienna that is all about affluence and excess didn’t help, I suppose. Now I know from Saks 5th Avenue – without having been in New York!


So, on to Budapest!








No comments:

Post a Comment