Monday 4 August 2014

Budapest (Part 3)


I was constantly touched by the pathos of various sculptures that we stumbled upon. On leaving Heroes’ Square we walked along a path through a park back to the parking lot. And there, with no explanation, plague, or acknowledgment to any artist I saw this lovely life-sized sculpture of a man carrying a baby on his shoulders. I don’t know why, I can’t explain, but it brought me to tears. This was an experience that we had continually throughout our trip to these European countries – art, not on walls of museums or galleries but around hidden corners, as you turned around a hedge on your meanderings, or plonked down on the edge of a square of cobbled sidewalk. Art was so much a part of every-day life, not special but special in its un-specialness. A walk of an afternoon could bring you from smiles at the humour of a piece to tears at the sadness.



No comments:

Post a Comment